CD Eject

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 20:43:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:57:53 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus at tmus.dk> wrote:

> Actually, IIRC, windows (or the drive itself) locks the drive door too
> under operation, but the lock is released, as soon as it's not in use...

That's right, and we do the same. Unfortunately for this case, a mount
operation performs an open of the block device, so it's considered
"in use" and that locks the door. The device driver does not know
if an application had any files open within the filesystem...

It may be possible to implement something like an unlock after a
period of inactivity. But all implications have to be well thought out.
For now just use "eject". It unmounts, too, so it's safer anyway.

-- Pete