Where's the NetworkManger applet in rawhide?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jan 10 05:34:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 22:18 -0500, D Canfield wrote:
> Just out of curiosity... is there any particular reason this continues
> to be something that has to be manually added?  Couldn't it be added to
> Add to Panel menu?

Because it's not a panel applet; it's a Notification Area applet.  If
you have session-saving enabled, and you run /usr/bin/nm-applet, the
applet will stick around.  If you don't have session saving enabled, you
can add it to your "Startup Programs" tab in gnome-session-properties
(System->Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions) and it will show up.

We don't have a good story in Gnome for adding stuff to the session
automatically.  It's usually a hardcoded file of stuff.  ISTR there's a
hack where a package can drop a .desktop file in a directory and get
something added to the session next time the box starts up, but that
doesn't solve the problem completely.

Dan