rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core]

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jan 10 18:42:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 12:36 -0600, Josh Boyer wrote:
> 1)  Why was there a rush to get it into test2?  It seems to me that it
> introduces a bit of instability into a distro that is suppose to be
> stablizing between test releases.  Could this have waited until FC6?

Very very little gets added after Test2.  We wanted testing done on it,
and waiting to FC6 is just too far off.

> 2)  Why did it go into Core as opposed to Extras?  We're normally trying
> to move things out of Core.  If you want to make an argument about keeping
> Mono itself in Core, I'm sure folks will listen.  But why do beagle,
> f-spot, etc need to be in Core?

There are some gnome features, such as search stuff, that require
beagle, which requires mono.  We may see more and more of gnome make use
of mono stuff, so it makes sense to be in core for now.