boot hang with 2.6.15

Wed Jan 11 10:29:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 21:21 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 02:18:26PM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:

>  > After my vacation i updated my rawhide machine and it doesn't want to
>  > boot the new kernel. The boot hangs after the line;
>  >
>  > io scheduler cfg registered
>  >
>  > Only a hard reset helps at that point.
>  >
>  > The last working kernel I have is 2.6.14-1.1773_FC5.
>
> Gah, was this in bugzilla ? That was a few weeks back, so there's
> quite a bit to go through there.

The problems with 2.6.14-1.1776_FC5 where a know problem before i left
for vacation, and I assume that was fixed.

> For test2, it's probably a bit late now, so your best bet is
> going to be to try and find a workaround (maybe playing with
> elevator= options).  If it's not in bugzilla yet, please file one,
> and boot with 'initcall_debug' and see what the last line it prints
> is, and drop that into the bugreport.

OK the debug message I see last is;
calling initcall 0xffffffff802127cb pci_init + 0x0/0x2b

I assume it is because of the messed up Shuttle BIOS (thank you Shuttle
for that master piece of engineering!), but it did work with older
kernels so i wonder why it stopped working now.

Anny idea where to start looking ?

- Erwin