rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core]

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 15:17:17 UTC 2006

On 01/11/2006 06:04 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> There is one *BIG* difference between gthumb and f-spot
>
> gthumb can be used for casual browsing/manipulation of any directory
> containing image files
>
> f-spot can not - in insists in importing/pre-processing ever picture
> directory before making it available. So it's more a centralised picture
> management app
>
> Till f-spot gets a "casual browsing mode" it's not a real gthumb replacement

You're assuming that a directory viewer (which we already have in
nautilus, though it is not targeted to just images) is more valuable to
the image user than a centralized app.  In other words, before trying to
replace functionality, first ask whether the functionality was really
useful to begin with.  For most people, the answer is not really.  The
end user thinks in terms of time, not directory structure on a disk.
"Those photos from last summer's vacation" instead of "those photos i
uploaded somewhere onto my machine, lets see not here... i thought they
were here... well ... they are around here somewhere".  If you want to
browse file/directory structures, use nautilus.  Gthumb isn't that good
of a nautilus replacement anyway.