Python namespace in packages

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Thu Jan 12 16:16:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:55 -0500, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 07:11 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> >> One thing I've always wondered is why a Python namespace isn't being
> >> used even though it's one of the primary languages used in Fedora. It
> >> doesn't make any sense to me why they aren't implemented. Does anyone
> >> have a reasonable explanation of why not?
> >
> > So does no one else see this as an issue? Or is this the wrong list for
> > such an inquiry?
>
> It's possible that I'm dim, but I have no idea what you're talking
> about. What is the "python namespace" you mention?

Currently in Perl packages rpmbuild detects what modules are used and
provided by the package and creates Requires and Provides tags in the
form of "perl(Foo::Bar)". Supposedly there are scripts that can detect
module usage in Python apps as well and can generate the appropriate
tags, e.g., "Provides: python(kid)". I'm just wondering why Fedora isn't
taking advantage of this.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/