suspend/hibernate on desktops

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Jan 16 08:14:58 UTC 2006

Am Montag, den 16.01.2006, 13:14 +0530 schrieb Rahul Sundaram:
> Bojan Smojver wrote:
>
> > You may find that patching your kernel with suspend2
> > (http://www.suspend2.net/) can give you much better results. The
> > software is being actively developed and works quite well on a number
> > of machines (as reported by people that are actually using it).
>>
> > PS. If the above patches kill your box and eat your data, it's not
> > going to be my fault. They also change the SPEC file to build i686 UP
> > kernel only (which is what my notebook is).
> >
> Kernel's can be installed in parallel. So would this suitable for Fedora
> Extras?

Just my 2 cent here: No. The real fix it to get the work done upstream
and fix remaining parts in our main kernel (if we have to).

Putting a kernel in extras is a bad idea in general IMHO. We then
probably would have to build kernel modules for them, too. And other
people probably would start submitting other Kernels (with the realtime
patches for example). This would probably end soon in a great
unsupportable mess with a small benefit. "Upstream" really is the best
solution.

BTW: From reading LKML it seems that Rafael J. Wysocki is quite active
on making swsusp a lot better in the mainstream kernel. That work needs
help and testing. Helping a separate project that for a long time failed
to merge the code with the kernel is IMHO the wrong approach and
probably a dead end.

CU
thl