Upgrading FC4 -> FC5 via yum.

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Mon Jan 16 13:43:49 UTC 2006

> Hi
>
> >You can update from FC4 to Rawhide.
> >I have just created a new FC4 partition and upgraded it to rawhide.
> >
> >1. Installed FC4 from DVD.
> >2. 'yum update kernel' + reboot on latest kernel.
> >3. 'yum update yum'
> >4. 'yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=*dev* install yumex' (install
> >yumex from development)
> >5. 'yumex'
> >6. Select 'Best' mirror detection in Yum Extender Preferences
> >7. Select 'development' + 'extras-development' on repo page
> >8. Select 'Remove' page
> >9. Select old kernels and remove them.
> >10. Select update page and select all.
> >11. You might get some dependency error, you have to remove the already
> >installed packages there cant be updated
> >iiimf packages
> >gstreamer-plugins from livna
> >

> Already documented in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/TestingGuide. If anything
> requires an update just do it in the wiki. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/WikiEditing for more details.
>
> --
> Rahul

You are way in the Testing guide is just fine, i just described a way
using yumex, because it is easier to find the stuff to be remove on a
FC4 system with a lot of 3 party stuff, there are making dependency
troubles when updating to Rawhide and i want use the the best mirror
detection included in the lastest yumex release to speedup the package
download by using the most updated and fastest mirrors.

Tim