suspend/hibernate on desktops

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 16:39:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 01:49:49PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

 > I agree in general but if the community wants to maintain such kernels
 > why should we stop them?

The big problem I see coming with this, is that user wants feature X
in a kernel, and so we have kernel-x added to extras.  Then people start
using it, and inevitably hit random bugs (not necessarily related to feature X)

Who's going to fix those bugs ?  I barely have enough time to get
on top of bugs in the kernels in -core, so there's no way I'm going to
dig into bugs from -extras kernels, and my biggest fear is a lot of the
people wanting to add kernels for 'feature X' don't necessarily have the
experience/ability to fix random bugs.

It's probably inevitable too that I'd still get users filing bugs against
'kernel' in bugzilla, even though they were using some variant, but would
forget to mention that. I spend way too much time in bugzilla rather than
developing already, I don't want any of the time I spend there to be wasted
on bugs I'm not interested in.

Additionally, if I took bugs to upstream maintainers who we've currently
got a very good relationship with on the whole, and it turned out to be
a -extras kernel with some weirdo patch, we may start alienating some
of those developers, making it more difficult to work with them in the
future on real bugs.

		Dave