suspend/hibernate on desktops

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 17:13:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 10:12:56PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

 > >The big problem I see coming with this, is that user wants feature X
 > >in a kernel, and so we have kernel-x added to extras.  Then people start
 > >using it, and inevitably hit random bugs (not necessarily related to
 > >feature X)
 > >Who's going to fix those bugs ?
 > >
 > Those who maintain such kernels in Fedora Extras.

That's what I'm afraid of when I said..

 > >my biggest fear is a lot of the
 > >people wanting to add kernels for 'feature X' don't necessarily have the
 > >experience/ability to fix random bugs.

In practice, either the bugs will go unfixed, lowering the overall
reputation of Fedora, or they'll land in bugzilla against 'kernel'
where they'll also go unfixed, with the added bonus of driving me crazy
as I try to make sense of problems that make no sense against a Fedora kernel.

We can add all the disclaimers and policies we want, users won't care
(because typically, they don't read them, they read some HOWTO
 that tells them to 'yum install kernel-suspend2' or the like).

They downloaded something from Fedora, they want Fedora to fix it when it breaks.
If we're not setup to do that, we shouldn't do it.

		Dave