Feature request - Remove apps from inside gnome menu.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Tue Jan 17 07:41:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 02:38 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Naoki wrote:
> > I was thinking, "Gee, wouldn't it be neato if I could right-click an
> > application in my gnome menu and pick Remove", which presumably could
> > spawn off the package manager with the related RPM already selected..
> >
> > I have no idea where a feature request like that should go (gnome?
> > Fedora?).
> >
> > But before I look any further, is that a crazy idea or would anybody
> > else like it? I figure newbies aren't going to know that menu item X
> > relates to package name "Y".
>
> In theory, the idea sounds rather natural and user friendly. I'd
> be a bit worried however that it is possible for a single package
> to install many individual programs which each have their own
> icons, of which may be spread around the GNOME menu structure.
>
> In this case, right clicking on one GNOME app and choosing to
> uninstall it, could end up uninstalling many more things than
> the user may have anticipated, including perhaps things that
> they did not want to uninstall.
>
> It's definitely a neat idea worth discussing however, as this
> theoretical problem may be solveable in an equally user friendly
> manner.

Totally valid concerns there Mike, which is why I'd recommend it just
spawns the OSes package management system with the item selected. From
there the user must use the interface to agree to any removals and will
be shown any dependencies.  They would also need to input the root
password so it would be difficult to accidentally remove apps.