rawhide stability

Tue Jan 17 16:29:46 UTC 2006

The thing I am a bit afraid of is that rawhide will end up being a "2.5
kernel". Because people hear it is so unstable and breaks a lot, many
people will probably just wait for a RC release before really testing
it. Just like the 2.5 kernel that nobody wanted to use, until Linus
called it 2.6. If that happens rawhide will get less and less testing,
and so the RC releases get more and more left over bugs. And that can't
be good for anybody.

Maybe massive updates like the gcc and gnome stuff should happen in a
bit more controlled manner. For example more warnings to the testers
that something big is going in.

I don't know if it is technically possible, but maybe some easy way to
rollback rpm's in yum would be useful. For example make snapshot with
"yum snapshot <name>", than install new stuff with "yum update" or "yum
install", if you than notice everything/something broke, use "yum
rollback <name>". That way it would be easier to undo some broken
updates and wait for the next update.

- Erwin