rawhide stability

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Jan 17 18:43:25 UTC 2006

Erwin Rol wrote:
> Shouldn't rawhide become more stable over time ? I mean it is falling
> apart at the moment.

There are no solid 100% expectations from rawhide.  It can break at any
time, and potentially in very serious and unexpected ways.  As time goes
on and a release nears, generally speaking, rawhide does become more and
more stable as a whole, but individual components very well can still
break at any given time.  A single one character typo in the kernel, X,
GNOME, a shell script, etc. can totally trash a system or otherwise make
it unuseable.  Fortunately such occurances are not a daily event, but
they do happen.

http://bugzilla.redhat.com

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca