rawhide stability

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Jan 17 20:29:55 UTC 2006

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> SELinux tends to be the fall guy for every other
> componant that changes on the system.  For example if the maintainer of
> hal decides it needs to access a new directory and the developer is not
> running selinux in enforcing mode, then the new version of hal gets
> introduced which is broken by SELinux in enforcing mode.  So it looks
> like SELinux is broken when in reality the problem was that the SELinux
> developers did not know about the change to hal.  Rawhide breaks and the
> SELinux policy developers fix it in the next days rawhide.  Not an
> excuse, but it is reality of the Rawhide environment.  Hopefully as we
> get closer to shipping, these problems will lesson.

Daniel, thanks for the explanation. I was not trying to lay the blame
the selinux team (or anyone else). Like you wrote, the responsibility
for the current situation is collective. I was only pointing out that
with all the Fedora component roadmap interactions the current devel is
pretty instable. Which is a bit frightening given we already have two
test releases behind us and the next one is scheduled soonish.

--
Nicolas Mailhot