RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 18 14:21:32 UTC 2006

Hi

>Please don't take this as a flame - but why should users care about that part?
>You have a very valid point considering amount of work that RH engineers need
>to do, but to the outside workd, it sounds a lot like the "dog ate my
>homework" kinda excuse... Why should a Fedora user care about how much time
>RH spends on RHEL? After all, they are not using RHEL but Fedora - which RH
>so often states is a community project...

Which is precisely why they need to be concerned. This is not a product
you demand features and updates from. Its a community project in which
you get involved if you want to change things

>What I can't judge is the amount of work that this creates. FC3 has received
>11 new srpms since beginning of the year. If you extend the "official"
>support for FC3 by 2 or 3 more months until shortly after FC5 is out, how
>much more work would that really be?

Hell lot of work than it is typically estimated really.

>I don't think that's the question. The question is more like "Do I want to be
>considered a legacy?"... Absolutely non-technical, but honestly - the word
>legacy has such a negative meaning in english for many people. In the
>perception of most users legacy systems only receive the most essential
>security updates and if you ask for support the techs will laugh and make
>comments "anyone still using that?"

We will rename it into Fedora Express project if thats a big deal. Dont
get struck on a name.

>I agree with the original poswer that - no matter if technically there is a
>good reason or not - people should be given a good choice of when to upgrade
>and to what release. Most people simply don't see staying with a legacy
>system as a choice.

You obsoletely have that choice merely by accepting that Fedora legacy
is indeed a valid community project that continues to provides updates
for years.

--
Rahul