RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jan 18 16:35:03 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 15:04 +0000, Andy Green wrote:

> Here's a proposal... just give "fedora Legacy" the keys to the standard
> updates repo when its time is up.  Updates just keep coming, from the
> usual place, users don't have to take action or notice or get fearful.
> Change the "fedora Legacy" project name to "Stability Response Team",
> "updates-released monkeymen" or "Deep Update Attack Tigers!!!".  Stick
> an article or two in Red Hat Magazine saluting the work of the maintainers.

Up until very recently, Fedora Legacy was not within the same 'blessing'
level as Fedora Extras.  We were completely independent and operated
outside the scope of the Fedora Foundation.  This has changed, we're now
a 'blessed' project within the foundation with me as the chair for this
project.  This now allows us to integrate closer with the Fedora
project, and is my big goal for the near future.

I'm working hard to get our repository info included in the FC5 release.
With the new update tools, it is very transparent to a user where the
updates are coming from.  It is also transparent to them what repos are
checked each time for updates.  If Legacy servers provide our repos,
albeit empty, it is very minimal overhead for an update tool to check
them.  Once the release falls into Legacy hands, end users shouldn't
notice other than the word 'legacy' in their package update name, and
their signed with a different key.  And really, do the vast majority of
users actually click the details of an update, or just see package
basenames and click go?

So with this integration, updates continue to come in, they just get
named differently.  Does this seem like a good solution to your
proposal?