Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jan 18 21:58:50 UTC 2006

It has been brought to my attention that some of the terms we use are
scaring users away.  This is not a good thing, so I propose the
following changes:

Where "Fedora Legacy" is mentioned, couple it with "The Community
Maintenance Project".  IE "Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance
Project".  Terms like 'Core', 'Extras', and 'Legacy' are pretty generic,
and require descriptive terms.  The terms I propose for use with Legacy
are userfriendly and accurate.

Discontinue the use of 'End of Life'.  This term is very misleading.  A
core release that Fedora Legacy maintains is not End of Life, it is just
maintained by different folks.  Instead one can use the term
'maintenance mode'.  When a give Fedora Core release enters "maintenance
mode", Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance Project, will take over
maintenance of the release for Security issues.

Together with these term changes, I propose changes to Core to minimize
the exposure of this project:

Inclusion of Legacy repository and key information in the Core release.
This will allow update programs which make use of yum to not need any
changes once a release enters maintenance mode.

Package updates produced by Legacy published to fedora-list and
fedora-announce-list.  This keeps our updates in the eyes of users
without them having to subscribe to a new list.  Release emails should
use the same or similar format that current Fedora update emails use.

Other changes that I see necessary moving forward:

Discontinue fedoralegacy.org website and integrate content into the
Fedora Project wiki.  Some of this has happened already, the rest needs
to happen.  This will make it much easier for us to make changes to our
content, such as adding information about FC3.

Make use of yum mirrorlist feature for Legacy's mirroring system.

Make use of repoview for showing the current repository information for
each release that Legacy maintains.

Convert our build system over to that which Fedora Extras uses, and make
use of Fedora content in CVS repositories.  This will make maintenance
much easier to manage, and contribution much easier to accomplish.

These are the changes I see as necessary moving forward.  Please bear
with us as we try to make each change while continuing to maintain
releases.  If you have thoughts/suggestions, I welcome them.