Proposed changes to Fedora Legacy Project

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 11:20:53 UTC 2006

> It has been brought to my attention that some of the terms we use are
> scaring users away.  This is not a good thing, so I propose the
> following changes:
>
> Where "Fedora Legacy" is mentioned, couple it with "The Community
> Maintenance Project".  IE "Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance
> Project".  Terms like 'Core', 'Extras', and 'Legacy' are pretty generic,
> and require descriptive terms.  The terms I propose for use with Legacy
> are userfriendly and accurate.

Why not just "Fedora Community Maintenance Project" (As Rhaul originally
suggested?)

> Discontinue the use of 'End of Life'.  This term is very misleading.  A
> core release that Fedora Legacy maintains is not End of Life, it is just
> maintained by different folks.  Instead one can use the term
> 'maintenance mode'.  When a give Fedora Core release enters "maintenance
> mode", Fedora Legacy, the Community Maintenance Project, will take over
> maintenance of the release for Security issues.

Good idea.

> Together with these term changes, I propose changes to Core to minimize
> the exposure of this project:
>
> Inclusion of Legacy repository and key information in the Core release.
> This will allow update programs which make use of yum to not need any
> changes once a release enters maintenance mode.

Good idea.
Any chance that it'll make it into FC5 release and/or push it as an
upgrade to FC4?

> Package updates produced by Legacy published to fedora-list and
> fedora-announce-list.  This keeps our updates in the eyes of users
> without them having to subscribe to a new list.  Release emails should
> use the same or similar format that current Fedora update emails use.

BTW, might sound OT. But if legacy sends announcement to -list, why
doesn't core do the same?  (At least I didn't see any... only in
-testing)

> Other changes that I see necessary moving forward:
>
> Discontinue fedoralegacy.org website and integrate content into the
> Fedora Project wiki.  Some of this has happened already, the rest needs
> to happen.  This will make it much easier for us to make changes to our
> content, such as adding information about FC3

Good idea.
BTW, There's no message in fedoralegacy.org about the FC3 hand-over.

> .
>
> Make use of yum mirrorlist feature for Legacy's mirroring system.
>
> Make use of repoview for showing the current repository information for
> each release that Legacy maintains.
>
> Convert our build system over to that which Fedora Extras uses, and make
> use of Fedora content in CVS repositories.  This will make maintenance
> much easier to manage, and contribution much easier to accomplish.

BTW, do you plan to limit legacy to security maintenance?

Gilboa