Proposal - don't install .rpmnew unless changed

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 13:17:25 UTC 2006

On 1/19/06, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would save admins a lot of time if we modify rpm so that it does not
> create a .rpmnew file if there is no change from the old file.  I would
> think this would be a simple modification.

Considering that my understanding is rpmnew files are only created
when a config file has been editted... right now.. I would appreciate
an example that i can reproduce that shows .rpmnew files being created
when there has been no change to the original file.  Please make sure
that rpm -V packagename returns clean before doing the package update
to verify that the config file is the original that rpm expects.

-jef