New GDM Login Theme

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Fri Jan 20 19:50:04 UTC 2006

Ray Strode wrote:
> If you want to use the new theme, you can
> enable it by running /usr/sbin/gdmsetup and selecting the "Fedora
> Bubbles" theme.
BTW, is there a particular reason why gdmsetup was removed from the
menus, or is there a hint to mere mortals on how to find it?  The more
casual users of FC that I know always want to be automatically logged in
and this is where they set it up.  Even using alacarte, I couldn't find
a menu item to re-enable, and until you sent this email, I couldn't find
the utility to run it manually (I'd assumed it had been removed
completely).  I know we have to keep the menus from being overwhelming,
but what's the point of a graphical interface to something if you have
to go to a command prompt to use it?

A more relevant suggestion though... would it be possible to pull info
from "About Me" to display owner information on the gdm screen.  I've
been thinking a lot about laptop security lately due to a number of
thefts we've had, and I want to make it as complicated as possible for
thieves to remove owner info from the unit.  We're going to start
locking the BIOS so you can't reinstall the OS without a password and
then adding a custom boot-image in the BIOS that says "This laptop
stolen from..."

Adding owner info to gdm seems like another good way to keep casual
thieves from profiting from their theft.  It'll be a bit harder to break
into an office, steal a laptop, and run to a pawnshop if half a dozen
things pop up to indicate that it's not your laptop.  Since most of our
thieves are locals,  we're hoping to convey the image that stealing our
equipment is more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks
DC