libtrash in fedora Core 5

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Sat Jan 21 00:32:33 UTC 2006

2006-01-20 Ian Burrell <ianburrell at gmail.com> wrote

> I realized recently is that instead of changing the behavior of the rm
> command and unlink, we need a new command, trash.  The 'trash' command
> would work just like 'rm' but would send the file to the trash instead
> of unlinking it.  Then people and scripts could use the new command
> instead of rm when they want the ability to get their files back.

The problem is - if you can even remotely imagine that you might want to
get the files back in any possible future, why would you delete it in
the first place?
If you think there is any possibility that you might want the file back,
you could just as well use 'mv' to get the files out of your way.
The problem is when you delete a file _because_ you are _sure_ you will
never need it again - and you later realize you made a mistake.

I am not sure if libtrash is the "right" solution, but any other
solutions that in reality just replicates options you already have are
really no solutions at all.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen