libtrash in fedora Core 5

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 18:14:59 UTC 2006

On 1/21/06, Ola Thoresen <redhat at olen.net> wrote:
> My point is that if we want this kind of feature, it should be
> trasparent to the user (like libtrash) so you don't have to rewrite a
> gazillion scripts and alter user behaviur.

I really really think its a bad idea to change the behavior of the rm
command to meet the expectations of desktop users, who drop to the
commandline.  rm's default functionality of deleting files should not
change. libtrash is a hack, which should be applied by people who know
that they want to apply that hack and should not be something that
drops in and automatically reconfigures the functionality of rm.  How
many shell scripts exist which rely on standard rm functionality?

-jef