RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Sat Jan 21 06:20:47 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>  Red Hat maintaining older
> releases will have a *negative impact* on forward development affecting
> every user eventually. Wasn't Fedora supposed to be the place where the
> community can get involved and do things? . Now is your opportunity.
> Why not help by validating the process of using Fedora legacy instead of
> treating it as some kind of unwanted step child?.  I dont understand the
> aversion. There is a lot of work from QA to documentation that can be
> done by the community. Please step up to do it instead.

Very well written Rahul.

I strongly believe that an important goal of Fedora is rapid forward
progress in Open Source Software.  That is where the Red Hat engineers
should be focusing their time and energy.

Fedora is supposed to be a community project, and Legacy is where fate
of an older distribution is put within the hands of the community.  If
there is sufficient interest in maintaining a distro, then Legacy will
keep it alive.  If a given distro falls into disrepair, then the
decision will eventually be made to retire it in order to better
allocate resources on distributions that the users care more about.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com