Mono apps: Banshee and iFolder

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:14:08 UTC 2006

On 1/21/06, Paul F. Johnson <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My only concern with mono stuff in extras is the indemnity clause in the
> extras agreement whereby contributors take the fall if there is
> something amiss. Will RH indemnify all .NET applications in extras? This
> will be *the* big decider on the Extras debate (IMHO).

I don't think you can expect RH to change the indemnification policy
for mono applications in Extras compared to other applications. If you
aren't comfortable  with contributing mono crap or any other crap into
Extras because of personal legal liability its perfectly acceptable
and responsible to refrain from those sorts of contributions.  I
wouldn't contribute anything I wasn't comfortable with from a legal
liability standpoint, whether it be mono-based or not.  I certainty
don't plan to look at contributing any mono related packages to Extras
until I feel I have an adequate explanation as to the change in policy
that allowed it into Core.

But I don't expect the indemnification policy to change for mono
specifically. If other contributors who have agreed to the
contributor's agreement (which I will remind everyone is not
dis-similar to what you have to do for apache contributions) feel
comfortable with contributing mono packages or reviewing mono
packages, then I'm not going to get in their way.

I will be looking to our new fearless leader in the Extras space to be
the liason in terms of making sure that the full explanation as to the
change in mono policy is communicated well enough so contributors into
Extras can assess the risks on an individual basis.

-jef