rawhide report: 20060121 changes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Mon Jan 23 00:15:41 UTC 2006

Neal Becker wrote:

>Richard Hally wrote:
>

>>Igor Jagec wrote:

>>>--> Running transaction check
>>>--> Processing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.0 for package: rhythmbox
>>>--> Processing Dependency: hotplug >= 3:2004_04_01-10 for package:
>>>sane-backends--> Processing Dependency: hotplug for package: udev
>>>--> Finished Dependency Resolution
>>>Error: Missing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.0 is needed by package
>>>rhythmboxError: Missing Dependency: hotplug >= 3:2004_04_01-10 is needed
>>>by package sane-backends
>>>Error: Missing Dependency: hotplug is needed by package udev
>>>

>>yum --exclude=totem\* --exclude=initscripts update
>>

>After yum refused to update my system, I tried instead 'smart upgrade'.
>Smart went ahead and correctly performed the update.
>
>While it is _possible_ to get yum to do the update, that is only after you
>manually figure out just what depends it's complaining about.  This is not
>trivial, and even worse on a multiarch system.

Point is that you should get the dependency issue resolved through file
bug reports or potentially deal with other issues caused due to missing
packages. You can work around this using a script -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum but please do notify the
relevant maintainers if you use this. Dont use this blindly.

"

I strongly believe that most users would prefer the smart behavior, or at
least the option of being asked.  Specifically, if some dependencies have
problems, offer to go ahead with other packages that don't have problems."

Smart package behavior of  *downgrading* packages to support dependencies is not what RPM has been designed for and neither it is tested by the Fedora developers. However if you must use it, it is under review in Fedora Extras packages and should be available under the repository soon but you will not get any support for any potential issues you deal with it from the Fedora Core developers merely because they never tested this functionality in the first place nor do they resources to support and test multiple package managers with completely different dependency resolving algorithms. Yum will continue to be integrated better through Anaconda, pirut etc.

--
Rahul