libtrash in fedora Core 5

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 25 01:26:52 UTC 2006

Paul A Houle <ph18 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Horst von Brand wrote:

[...]

> > If you want Windows with all its brokeness, you know where to find it...

>     I don't think it's all that bad to offer people the option of a
>     reversable delete.

Except it isn't exactly when you need it to be. "Reversable delete"
requires infinite-sized disks, and I haven't seen any of those lately. Next
you need reversable <anything> changes to random files (yes, files get
broken by editing too).

Moving to "Thrash" just postpones the moment of disposal, and then they
come whining that they emptied the thrashbin by mistake...

>     I've never experienced it personally,  but I do encounter people
>     quite often who want to recover a deleted file on an ext3
>     filesystem and find out that it can't be done.

And learn that what is deleted is /gone/. It is much better (if somewhat
harsh) to get used to that discipline. "It can be undeleted later" just
creates sloppiness. Plus automated responses like I remember from DOS days:
"del *.*\ny"...