libtrash in fedora Core 5

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Sun Jan 29 17:00:09 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 January 2006 12:53am, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 13:45 -0700, Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> > Anyway ... I'm not sure that Jeff was right when he talked about this
> > being because of a deficiency in ext3.  Compared to ext2, perhaps.  But,
> > in general, it is harder to recover deleted files from journaled
> > filesystems that it is from block ones.  That said, Jeff has a point
>
> Seems to me journaling should make it easier. Just rewind the journal.

Only if there's data journaling and no corruption in the journal due to hard
system stop like tripping over the power cord.

> At any rate, I once 'rm -rf *'-ed an entire 80gb reiserfs 3 filesystem
> on accident. A 'reiserfsck --rebuild-tree --scan-whole-partition'
> brought it all of it back.

Ah yes.  Excellent.  Of course, you did that immediately following the
deletion.

If that had been ext3, forget it.

If it had been XFS, I'm not sure, but since it's architecture is so similar to
reiserfs 3, I would think you'd just have to find the right command.

I have no idea about JFS, but I've never heard a story of anyone recovering a
JFS filesystem (then again, I haven't heard many JFS stories, yet).

I have heard stories of people "rm -Rf *"-ing whole filesystems on ext2,
reiserfs, ext3, JFS, XFS & reiser4; I've only heard stories of such complete
recovery with reiserfs and reiser4.

> <3 <3 <3 reiserfs

:)
--