FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Mon Jan 30 03:42:16 UTC 2006

Once upon a time, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> said:
> Wouldn't it then make more sense to specify in the source the
> optimization strategy to use? Maybe through a compiler #pragma,
> as an override for the overall strategy set at the file level.
>
> Then we could mark the small and performance critical parts
> as such, and turn the default file level strategy to -Os.

The RPM .spec file would still have to know which packages should
not have the default optimizations overridden.

One solution would be a way for rpmbuild to define different sets of
optflags, which the .spec file could choose from (and if it chose an
undefined set the default set would be chosen instead).  You could have
optflags-small, optflags-fast, etc., but if one wasn't defined for an
arch it would fall back to optflags.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>