libnotify don't work for root.

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 15:54:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 12:11 -0500, Tim Lauridsen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have tried to make libnotify / notification-daemon work from python.
>
> I have made this sample, it is works ok, when running as a normal user,
> but it dont work when running as root.
>
> http://linux.rasmil.dk/dnl/test/test-dbus.py
>
> It is the same when i am using the
>    notify-send "foo" "bar"
> it works as normal user, but not as root.
>
> Anybody have any clues ???

When you say it doesn't work for root do you mean you are logged in as
the user and you try to send from root?  In that case it is expected not
to work.  Every user has a session bus which is what libnotify uses.
Only applications running in that session can access that bus.  If you
want root to send notifications you will have to relay the message
through a proxy which listens on the system bus and then sends the
message over the users session bus.  Nothing like that has been built
yet.