Compiling pcmcia drivers...

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 17:11:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 17:47 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > Furthermore, if you really want _everything_ that the orinoco has to
> > offer, don't use the 'orinoco' driver, use the 'hostap' driver in
> > recent kernels.  That supports both Master mode _and_
> > wpa_supplicant.  In fact, if I plug in my WaveLAN card, hostap seems
> > to be the default driver anyway, not orinoco.
>
> Sorry for being dumb, but the hostap homepage states that hostap
> supports prism, and nothing else. Furthermore it does not seem to do
> anything on my iBook (Airport is orinoco-based).

Ok, that might be the case that it doesn't support Airport since Airport
is slightly different.  In any case, it's doubtful that the Agere driver
would support Airport either (please correct me if I'm wrong).

However, last time I stuck in my WaveLAN card (a Hermes I chipset, ie
way way way before prism) it got bound to the hostap driver, not
orinoco.

I just checked the PCMCIA binding table of hostap, and there is
significant overlap with orinoco, meaning that  most cards that orinoco
supports (including WaveLAN/hermes) should work with hostap.

Dan