rawhide report: 20060103 changes

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Jan 3 17:10:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 11:47 -0500, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

> Is it possible to schedule automatic rebuilds of packages that are
> dependent on packages that have have non-backwards-compatible (e.g.,
> SONAME change) changes?

Theoretically I suppose.  Automated rebuilding isn't always the answer.
When things change like this, it gives the maintainer the opportunity to
look upstream for source changes or at bugzilla for package bugs to fix
when bumping to meet the new library version.  The broken dep in rawhide
is a great way of drawing attention to a particular package.  Automated
rebuilding would only draw this attention if the build fails in someway.
We just have to put up with the fact that rawhide is broken from time to
time.  Especially around the holidays when the vacation schedules are
not all in sync.