edit root alias when installing the OS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jan 4 12:48:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 20:34 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 13:37 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 January 2006 17:51, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > > Allowing the operator to enter an arbitrary email address to receive the
> > > email from root might be more realistic.
> >
> > I think I'm with Michael Peters on this one, it should go to a local user
> > first.
>
> Why not let the user chose?

The user can choose. The user can either set up the /etc/aliases file
themselves - or use procmail or whatever to do the forwarding.

Setting it up as a local user in firstboot is much more likely to work
without problems.

What happens when a user enters their e-mail address, and their e-mail
server rejects it because it is coming from what looks like a
compromised broadband host? (a lot of mail servers flat out reject
anything that looks like it is coming from a dsl/cable modem). Now you
have postfix sending a mail to root stating the message can't be
delivered, which gets forwarded to the same e-mail address - meanwhile,
unless the user reads the log, they may never know there is a problem.

Let those who have a reason to forward root's mail to an e-mail address
do so, they probably already know how - seeing as that's how they would
have to do it currently.