edit root alias when installing the OS

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 20:00:40 UTC 2006

On 1/4/06, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 20:34 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> the
> > >
> > > I think I'm with Michael Peters on this one, it should go to a local
> user
> > > first.
> >
> > Why not let the user chose?
>
> The user can choose. The user can either set up the /etc/aliases file
> themselves - or use procmail or whatever to do the forwarding.
>
> Setting it up as a local user in firstboot is much more likely to work
> without problems.
>
> What happens when a user enters their e-mail address, and their e-mail
> server rejects it because it is coming from what looks like a
> compromised broadband host? (a lot of mail servers flat out reject
> anything that looks like it is coming from a dsl/cable modem). Now you
> have postfix sending a mail to root stating the message can't be
> delivered, which gets forwarded to the same e-mail address - meanwhile,
> unless the user reads the log, they may never know there is a problem.
>
> Let those who have a reason to forward root's mail to an e-mail address
> do so, they probably already know how - seeing as that's how they would
> have to do it currently.

You make a very good point. It seems to me, all that is needed to make your
method more friendly, is some GUI that specializes it making the default
user aware of mail in their local inbox. Therefore a user wouldn't have to
remember to drop down to a console or setup a mail client to read their
local mail in order to be aware of what we can assume to be important
messages.