bash 3.1 update

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 14:31:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:00:09PM +0100, Peter Bieshaar wrote:
> IMHO there is normally no reason WHY a binary executable should be readable.
> I checked my laptop (FC4) and saw the permissions indeed 755 for bash. A 111
> (---x--x--x) is normally enough for a binary. In very rare cases a suid/sgid

If you give 'r' then users are permitted to see as well as execute the binary.
This is neccessary to get core dumps or use a debugger. Lets face it the
binary image of bash is not a state secret and downloadable from redhat.com.

Setting x only might well make sense on other software such as non-free packages
that most not be "borrowed" by end users