CD Eject

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 19:26:25 UTC 2006

Hi

>First, never yank a mounted USB device.  You can't do this on any OS
>without possibly causing serious data loss. Because flash drives are
>really slow and constantly writing to them can wear them out faster,
>data is queued up and synced to device at regular intervals.  Yanking it
>before a write can finish will damage the drive.

Right which is why Windows has a system tray message that says says
remove devices or something similar. Might consider adopting a similar
strategy of informing the user using libnotify and friends.

>As for drives opening I would guess we could listen for the button press
>and do an unmount/eject.  The question is do we get eject button signals
>from the kernel.

This has been a often requested feature which has been dumbed down so
far as not being the Unix way as if that really mattered on that desktop.