Extra CDs packages installation gone in firstboot?

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jan 11 12:03:40 UTC 2006

Hi,

I just installed the development tree for the first time in a while
yesterday, and was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that the
firstboot step to install packages from "Extra" CDs was gone (which AFAIK
has only ever been used in RHEL).

Is it just temporary because of the changes to all the package related
tools to use yum as a backend, or is this final? In FC4 it apparently
didn't work anyway, so as long as system-cdinstall-helper is still there
for installing the same stuff after firstboot, from nautilus using the
"autorun" script, it's no big deal anyway.

For those curious about why I'm concerned, it's because I've created
(finally, I had that in mind for a looong while) a CD for FC4 i386 which
includes all freshrpms.net packages, so that users with no or slow
Internet connections can nevertheless easily install full-featured
multimedia players etc.

A bit more information here :
http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/freshrpms-list/2006-January/013758.html

The current goal was to demonstrate the possibility of creating such a
compilation of package, which is now done. But I really think that some
specialized CDs (Games, Office, Desktops...) or a big fat DVD of snapshots
of Fedora Extras packages would be really nice too...

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
Load : 0.14 0.19 0.19