rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core]

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 15:16:51 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
> gthumb can be used for casual browsing/manipulation of any directory
> containing image files

Aren't there other ways already in Core to casually browse directories
of images?
Doesn't nautilus provide some functionality for casual viewing of
images via eog?

> f-spot can not - in insists in importing/pre-processing ever picture
> directory before making it available. So it's more a centralised picture
> management app

And i think a default application that is more centralized and more
focused is very much consistent with previous fedora core
functionality decisions.
f-spot is to photos as rhythmbox is to music

> Till f-spot gets a "casual browsing mode" it's not a real gthumb replacement

The question as to Core/Extras is never about feature-for-feature
replacements. It's never about most features either.  The question is
prioritization of functionality. You can not deny that there is
significant overlap here between these applications and general
function. The question becomes what is the primary functionality that
Fedora Core is attempting to fill and how well does each candidate
application fill that role.

As to the question of which functionality is more important.. casual
browsing or centralized management. I'm not really sure casual
browsing of images outside of the filemanager is that important
compared to centralized photo management at this point.  I do however
feel strongly that a choice needs to be made and one of these
applications should be in Core, and the other should move to Extras.
eog,gthumb,f-spot i do not think all 3 should be in Core.

-jef