rawhide report: 20060110 changes [extras packages moved to core]

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:25:14 UTC 2006

On 1/11/06, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta gmail com> wrote:
>I can hold up my wife as an example of your analysis of how a "normal
>user" wants to interact with photos. She goes through the trouble of
>booting back into windows to use picasa because of its photo
>management capabilities. It will be interesting to see if f-spot means
>the functionality bar to make booting into windows no longer worth the
>effort.

Are there "official" statements about directives for core/extra inclusion?
Are kde based packages automatically  in extra?
If this is not the case, why not include digikam and
digikamimageplugins packages for photo management?
digiKam employs the gPhoto2 program to communicate with digital still
cameras; whith older ones that are not directly supported by gPhoto2,
there is support for the Mass Storage protocol (USB and FireWire).
I'm using without any problem on my fc5 devel updated at yesterday changes
digikam-0.8.0-11.fc5.i386.rpm,
digikam-devel-0.8.0-11.fc5.i386.rpm
and digikamimageplugins 0.8 (based on digikamimageplugins-0.7.4-9.fc5 spec file
after downlaoding source and updating spec file; already contacted mantainer)
I think is the best for centralized photo management.
See project page at:
http://www.digikam.org/
Screenshots at:
http://www.digikam.org/?q=image