Checksum Failing (Was Re: More mass rebuilds for GCC)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 15:56:11 UTC 2006

Janina Sajka wrote:
> Really delighted to see the new compat-libstdc++ today, but getting the
> following attempting to yum them down:

Sorry about the trouble.  This error is due to a combination of two
factors.  We signed the previously unsigned packages, but forgot to
repocreate the metadata again.  Your yum grabbed the unsigned metadata,
which didn't match the checksums on the newly signed packages.

Unfortunately everyone that grabbed metadata prior to signing will need
to clear their yum cache.   Even though today's rawhide is consistent
between packages and metadata, everyone will need to use "yum clean
headers metadata" in order to proceed with further updates.

I consider this to be a bug in yum.  Once we accidentally pushed an
unsigned package in FC4 Updates.  When realizing the problem Sopwith
signed and re-pushed it, but anybody who had already downloaded the
unsigned header forever was stuck being unable to upgrade.  Because we
had no choice, we had to rebuild the package so yum would re-grab
headers and continue updating stuff without manual intervetion.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com