suspend/hibernate on desktops

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Mon Jan 16 10:56:14 UTC 2006

A few more notes about suspend2:

- once Nigel Cunningham (the main suspend2 developer) finished the work
(i.e. when he thinks the patch is ready), the patch will be submitted
for the inclusion upstream, probably in the -mm tree first (check
suspend2 devel list for more details)

- suspend2 (at present) doesn't have modular support, but it will have
it once again after the merge (i.e. modular support has been deprecated
for merge); as such, it will be a candidate for Extras in the future,
even if it doesn't get accepted upstream

Full feature list here:

http://www.suspend2.net/features

The patches for Rawhide/FCX are a stopgap measure for the unfortunate
among us that cannot use built in suspend to RAM/disk. But, I do have to
admit that even if current suspend to disk work OK on my notebook, I
would still think about giving suspend2 a go, because:

- it is faster to suspend/resume
- it looks nicer
- it leaves the system in a better state on resume (i.e. all the apps
are just as responsive as you left them)
- the support on the list is excellent

--
Bojan