suspend/hibernate on desktops

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 16 19:40:33 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 22:54 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
> I've been playing with the pm-suspend and pm-hibernate on my desktop
> withe recent kernels (rawhide and davej repo) sometimes I it dies,
> sometimes it nearly works, sometimes it refuses to sleep but comes
> straight back to life, I think once it even came back to life after
> susppending, all good fun :-)
>
> Just wondering are the developers particularly interested in getting
> suspend/resume working on desktops in FC5, or is the prime focus to get
> it working on "popular" laptops first? Since my test box is intended to
> end up as a htpc, I'd appreciate anything which helps it be as silent as
> possible, but I don't want to raise diversions if the focus is elsewhere ...

I think it's worth filing bugs as the framework is definitely viable for
both.  Desktop suspend/resume definitely isn't the focus, but if we can
get it working more, it's a nice side effect ;-)  One thing that's
likely to be more problematic with desktops is BIOS bugs[1] just because
the laptop vendors at least consciously consider suspend/resume.

Jeremy

[1] And saying it's more problematic than the laptop BIOS bugs is
impressive :-)