Feature request - Remove apps from inside gnome menu.

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Tue Jan 17 07:38:41 UTC 2006

Naoki wrote:
> I was thinking, "Gee, wouldn't it be neato if I could right-click an
> application in my gnome menu and pick Remove", which presumably could
> spawn off the package manager with the related RPM already selected..
>
> I have no idea where a feature request like that should go (gnome?
> Fedora?).
>
> But before I look any further, is that a crazy idea or would anybody
> else like it? I figure newbies aren't going to know that menu item X
> relates to package name "Y".

In theory, the idea sounds rather natural and user friendly. I'd
be a bit worried however that it is possible for a single package
to install many individual programs which each have their own
icons, of which may be spread around the GNOME menu structure.

In this case, right clicking on one GNOME app and choosing to
uninstall it, could end up uninstalling many more things than
the user may have anticipated, including perhaps things that
they did not want to uninstall.

It's definitely a neat idea worth discussing however, as this
theoretical problem may be solveable in an equally user friendly
manner.

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.