Announcing Fedora Core 5 Test 2

Igor Jagec igorm5 at vip.hr
Tue Jan 17 09:12:28 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

> Notable Features of FC5 Test2
> =============================
> * New Logo

It looks nice.

> * Package selection within the installer has been reenabled.

Yep, but the problem is that now is much more time consuming for
selecting packages than it was in FC4. It has more package group
selections and has no option of Minimal Install in graphical mode. Do
you plan to improve that Pirut interface? I don't know but it seems to
me that now it takes more time to resolve dependencies comparing to FC4.

> * Based on gcc4.1 for performance and security
> * Gnome 2.13.4

What GNOME will be included in FC5, 2.12 or 2.14?

> * Support for dmraid in the installer (motherboard based raid).
> * Pirut (pronounced like a pirate): Package Installer, Remover, Updater
> Tool.  Includes pup, the Package Updater Program.

Is it going to be included in FC5? Now it looks like it is in early
stage of development.

> * SELinux reference policy so that we can support binary policy modules.
> * Beagle, f-spot, and tomboy.  Apps such as nautilus and firefox can use
> beagle for highly advanced searching and indexing.

That are very nice changes. I like f-spot and Beagle, and I didn't play
with tomboy.

> Have fun testing this release, and enjoy the freedom
> of Linux.

Yes, I'm having fun, thanks :)

P.S. I found some review of FC2t5, but with FC5t1 screenshots thoe (?)
     http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=5971

--
Igor Jagec