RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jan 18 15:04:50 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> We will rename it into Fedora Express project if thats a big deal. Dont
> get struck on a name.
>
>> I agree with the original poswer that - no matter if technically there
>> is a good reason or not - people should be given a good choice of when
>> to upgrade and to what release. Most people simply don't see staying
>> with a legacy system as a choice.
>
> You obsoletely have that choice merely by accepting that Fedora legacy
> is indeed a valid community project that continues to provides updates
> for years.

One could say that users are guided into making "Fedora Legacy" the
red-haired stepchild in their minds by:

 - the name... as others said 'legacy' is almost completely negative

 - the fact that unlike Extras, legacy repos do not come out of the box
in /etc/yum.repos.d .

 - Fedora Legacy had bad press on LWN and elsewhere for security update
latencies in its early days

 - People are attracted to Fedora because of the level of trust they
have in Redhat as a brand.  When they see RH 'handing over' / disowning
a Fedora version they get a bad feeling.  It's the having done with it
feeling in RH that led to the choice of the name 'legacy' in the first
place.

Here's a proposal... just give "fedora Legacy" the keys to the standard
updates repo when its time is up.  Updates just keep coming, from the
usual place, users don't have to take action or notice or get fearful.
Change the "fedora Legacy" project name to "Stability Response Team",
"updates-released monkeymen" or "Deep Update Attack Tigers!!!".  Stick
an article or two in Red Hat Magazine saluting the work of the maintainers.

-Andy