RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Jan 18 16:54:37 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:

> checked each time for updates.  If Legacy servers provide our repos,
> albeit empty, it is very minimal overhead for an update tool to check
> them.  Once the release falls into Legacy hands, end users shouldn't
> notice other than the word 'legacy' in their package update name, and
> their signed with a different key.  And really, do the vast majority of
> users actually click the details of an update, or just see package
> basenames and click go?
>
> So with this integration, updates continue to come in, they just get
> named differently.  Does this seem like a good solution to your
> proposal?

Sure.  Just removing the discontiguity of having to mess with the repo
list will cause many future threads that would have been on fedora-list
to wink out of existence.

The more that is done to make Legacy a purely internal action not
readily discernable (I am sorry about suggesting this reduction in
profile) the less Fedora will look like an upgrade treadmill and the
more it will look like a project issuing basically immortal releases,
this 6 month drumbeat will be only of interest to people looking to
upgrade by choice.

-Andy