RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Jan 18 17:03:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 17:53 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> That's not the impression you communicate and how it is perceived by the
> community. At least to my knowledge, all packages in FC are 100% under
> RH control and decisions on which packages to include into FC are taking
> without contacting or communicating them to the community (I am still
> waiting on an explanation wrt. the sudden introduction of Mono).

Yes, again we're working on how we communicate.  The packages are
actually under FF control.  We make decisions based on what is best for
Fedora, which most times but not always is best for Red Hat as well.
This is a work in progress, and Rome wasn't built in a day.  We've been
focusing on various things throughout our releases.  I think Fedora
Extras is a shining example of embracing the community.

> But I realize the fedora.redhat.com pages seem to have recently changed
> and now tell something else than the did before.
>
> ... I still remember the words "Fedora guided by RH, ..."
>
> >   Red Hat donates services, man hours, hardware, etc.. to the
> > foundation to meet its goals, but in the end, decisions are made by the
> > Foundation.
>
> So far, to non-redhatters, the foundation has been virtually
> non-existent and has been perceived as "yet another marketing bubble".
>
> Tell us, who is the foundation? Who are the persons and groups behind
> it? How is it related to FE?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundation  This is the starting point for
info on the foundation.  Yes it is quite sparse, the foundation is
rather new and is working hard to get things in place.  Currently the
board members are Red Hat employees, but that will change (I'm told very
soon).  There are advisors to the board that are not Red Hat employees
and that is a good thing.  It is related to FE in that all things Fedora
fall under the banner of the Fedora Foundation.  Fedora Extras is a
Project within FF and is chaired by Thorsten Leemhuis, who I might add
is not a Red Hat employee.  Fedora Legacy is as well, and while I am a
Red Hat employee, I chair Fedora Legacy more in the aspect of a
community member rather than an RH employee.

> >   We're working very hard to draw the line of separation
> > between Red Hat the company and the Fedora Foundation.
> Yes, there apparently are severe communication deficiencies wrt. this.

We are fully aware of this and trying very hard to change this going
forward.  We're really making it up as we go along so...