RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Horst von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 18 17:32:32 UTC 2006

Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> wrote:

[...]

> I agree with the original poswer that - no matter if technically there is a
> good reason or not - people should be given a good choice of when to upgrade
> and to what release. Most people simply don't see staying with a legacy
> system as a choice.

They had the choice when FC4 came out, or to wait for a while to look how
it turned out, try it on a few systems, and then take the plunge. Or they
could upgrade now. In any case, this was announced long before, it's not
that they have been caught unaware. And the concern about thinly spread
manpower has merit (and has nothing to do with RHEL, it would be exactly
the same if Fedora stood alone): Juggling FC3 + FC4 + last /hard/ push to
get FC5 out the door without showstopper bugs /is/ a lot of work. Sure, it
might not translate into many new RPMs for FC3, but it means people looking
over bug reports, wondering if some new bug reports could be relevant
(security-wise) for FC3, etc anyway.

Also, nudging the users forward is part ot the plan, I guess... it's not
that you would have to keep RH 7.3 because upgrading is too expensive.