RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Jan 19 21:26:38 UTC 2006

Le jeudi 19 janvier 2006 à 15:50 -0500, Jeff Spaleta a écrit :
> On 1/19/06, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
> > No silver bullets I'm afraid but perhaps a comment on the download page
> > about the expected life duration .. and maybe a "timer" in anaconda
> > along the lines of "this version is more than 6 months old, there's
> > probably a newer version available, are you sure you want to continue"
> > would help. Dunno :-/
>
> "timer" in anaconda...

Don't set your hopes to high on the clock being right before ntp is run

Instead, why not :

1. Publish an ical calendar on fedoraproject.org with fedora release
events. Something like
webcal://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/fedora-project.ics
but user-oriented ie simplified and localized
-> That means you can report any release scheduling change transparently
(this never happens, right ?)

2. Specify a config file / conf.d directory where the admin can drop
webcals URIs which are then sourced by default by webcal-aware source
apps (including for example the gnome clock applet)
-> needs some KDE/Gnome/freedesktop cooperation
-> nothing hardcoded, make your admins happy

3. make a fedora-schedule rpm which drops 1. in 2. and is installed by
default by anaconda
-> corporations can choose to block its installation via normal
kickstarting
-> or even distribute their own corporate agenda this way)

Most of the infrastructure to share calendar events remotely is already
here, you only have to tweak it a bit to allow admins to distribute
caldav refs to users.

Please to not create yet another ubber-specialized applet timer which
will bitrot faster than you can write it

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot