RFE: Retire Fedora Core 4 only _after_ FC6 has been released.

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Jan 20 09:12:05 UTC 2006

Le Ven 20 janvier 2006 08:47, n0dalus a écrit :
> On 1/20/06, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:
>>
>> That's not a problem, today the gnome clock applet is a calendar app and
>> all gnome users run this one
>>

> Hmm. On my system I only get info from my calendar when I click on the
> applet; do users check the applet every day?

You can set up alarms. Don't know if you can do at the ical level though

> This solution also
> doesn't work for the KDE users.

Well I suppose kde users have their own ical stack.
Anyway, there's probably room for improvement, but improving ical handling
will benefit everyone not just fedora, while a fedora-specific system will
go nowhere (as the rhn/up2date applet showed and it was way more sensitive
than Fedora schedules)

> I think doing the check before the system is installed will save
> people the effort of installing it only to then find out it's no
> longer supported by Red Hat.

Human nature being what it is they'll click through any warning and
quickly forget about it (ie warnings are basically useless in any
wizard-like process users do next next next ok till it finishes or fails).
Also when users already have anaconda launched, it's way too late anyway -
very few will cancel install when they got to this stage. Either you do
warnings before the download stage (good luck with it) or you remind users
some time before milestones (ical way) but I don't believe in warnings in
the middle of the install process

--
Nicolas Mailhot