FORTIFY_SOURCE for the kernel

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Mon Jan 23 13:53:58 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 11:30 +0900, Warren Togami wrote:
>> It would be interesting to experiment with, but it is far too late now
>> to begin using it for FC5.  It will no doubt expose problems that would
>> cause system crashes.  Fedora uses other non-standard kernel build
>> options like -Os where in the past exposed corner case problems that
>> most other users don't experience.  It took a long while to fix -Os
>> problems because upstream and other distros didn't use it, and I am not
>> really sure if all -Os problems are fixed today.
>
> Going off at a tangent....what would people think of the idea of
> switching to -Os in $RPM_OPT_FLAGS _after_ FC5 is released?

If it results in some form of improvement in performance, I'm all for it.
I don't think we don't want a degredation in performance just to gain some
size benefits.  Though from past experience, it results in both size _and_
performance improvements for most code.

I'm of the opinion that we should definitely try it.

Too bad the "Summer of Code" thing is over.  This would have made a great
project for some eager coder to play with.

josh